(please send us a short message outlining why you interested in applying for the job, including salary expectations)

CANCEL

VCWG

Vector Surveillance Issues

VCWG

Vector Surveillance Issues

Home Forums Vector Surveillance Issues

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Author
        Wulan
        Keymaster
          Leo Braack
          Keymaster

For those interested in arboviruses, here is an interesting freshly-published paper on the history and causes of spread of Aedes albopictus and current distribution globally…very interesting read:

Swan, T., Russell, T.L., Staunton, K.M. et al. A literature review of dispersal pathways of Aedes albopictus across different spatial scales: implications for vector surveillance. Parasites Vectors 15, 303 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1186/s13071-022-05413-5

Muhammad Ajmal khan
              Participant

Dear Sir,

I am Muhammad Ajmal Khan, a medical entomologist from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa , pakistan. In vector surveillance, we have two issues: one is determining the taxonomy. therefore, it is humble request to carry out the workshop on identification and sampling techniques on vector surveillance. Another of my humble suggestions is to kindly develop and publish the pictorial key for vector identification.

Kindly share your WhatsApp number, please.

my whatsaap number is 92 3359081842

Leo Braack
                  Participant

Hi Muhammad, and thank you for raising these issues. Yes, you are right, there are many entomology filed staff asking for training on mosquito identification, and we offer one course each year that includes a few days on such training but we can only take about 25 people per course, and the need is much bigger. Next year we will be offering the course in Thailand for GMS region, and then probably in 2026 in South-Asia…I know you don’t want to wait that long, let us think about organizing an online course.

PS: Later this year we will have an online course on vector surveillance methods, probably in August…keep an eye out for the advertising Flyer.

Muhammad Ajmal khan
                  Participant

Dear Sir,

if you have important PPT on Malaria , Dengue and leishmaniasis, please share us.

Muhammad Ajmal khan
                      Participant

<span style=”color: #1c1c1c; font-family: Inter, sans-serif; font-size: 14px; white-space-collapse: break-spaces;”>Greetings from Pakistan. I am writing to request that you include me in all training sessions related to vector control and prevention. As a medical entomologist and epidemiologist, I believe it is important to stay up-to-date with the latest techniques and strategies in this field. Please let me know when the next training session is scheduled, as I would like to attend.</span>

Leo Braack
                    Keymaster

Is there a trapping method to replace Human Landing Catches? A recent publication reviews the available literature, and found that there still is no clear answer…unfortunately. Here is the reference:

Eckert J, Oladipupo S, Wang Y, Jiang S, Patil V, McKenzie BA, Lobo NF, Zohdy S. Which trap is best? Alternatives to outdoor human landing catches for malaria vector surveillance: a meta-analysis. Malaria Journal. 2022 Dec;21(1):1-7.

And here is the “Conclusions” section of the paper, which is more helpful than the abstract:

The results of the meta-regression show that a large percentage of the heterogeneity present in the analysis comes from variations of traps, locations, and species collected. There is not a consensus among publications in the field over whether a specific trap can be used as a “magic bullet” alternative to HLC. Even so, the high between-study heterogeneity and publication bias cannot be ignored. Instead, research on alternative traps should be conducted by performing question-driven studies to address which traps are best for which species. If programmes want to examine Anopheles spp. diversity in an area, different trapping tools may be necessary than for programmes that are just interested in a specific vector, such as An. gambiae s.l., or have a specific bionomic question. Rather than aiming to determine which alternative trap can replace HLC, the goal should instead be to identify the optimal trapping tool for question-driven collections needed to inform decisions about appropriate malaria control interventions or for basic research. A baseline assessment of mosquito collection tools relative to HLC in specific locations could be conducted to determine the best tools in specific contexts in response to indicator-driven questions by using the ESPT tool and evaluating results at regular intervals to determine representativeness [63]. In addition, very few studies evaluating collection tools when compared to HLC describe the vector control context and landscape in which the study is being conducted. For example, conducting a study in a context where a vector control tool such as mass distribution of ITNs is used is likely to influence mosquito biting and resting behaviour and the resulting entomological indicators compiled by mosquito collection tools. Under this framework, future meta-analyses could better characterize the landscape of malaria vector behaviour by reducing between-study heterogeneity, allowing for recommendations for malaria vector control interventions that are tailored to local vector ecology.

Muhammad Ajmal khan
                      Participant

Dear Leo brack, i have completed course but i did not received the certificate .

Muhammad Ajmal Khan

Medical entomologist

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa , Pkaistan

ajmal.ivmpfata@gmail.com

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.